How to Make Sugar Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar.
- Using mixer cream butter with 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Turn mixer to low and add eggs one at a time and mix just until incorporated. Add vanilla and mix just until blended. Stir in flour mixture in three parts; scraping down the bowl and beaters.
- Cover and refrigerate dough for 1-2 hours.
- Roll the dough in 1 inch balls. Roll balls in remaining sugar and place on parchment covered baking sheets. Gently press the balls down with the palm of your hand until it is about 1/2 inch thick. Bake 10-12 minutes or until the edges are just starting to brown and centers are set. Cool on cookie cooling racks.