Mark's Spumoni Cookies
This cookie recipe started as a recipe for a cookie with chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry layers. For Christmas back in 1972 I changed it to Spumoni flavors: chocolate, cherry, and pistacio. These cookies bacame a must for Christmas every year. They are pretty and tasty. People always comment they have never seen anything anything like them.
I have seen other similar recipes recently but I did come up with this on my own way back in 1972.
★★★★★ 2 votes5
- 1 c
- butter, softened
- 3/4 c
- 1 large
- 1/2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 pinch
- squares unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- 1/4 c
- pistacio nuts, chopped
- 1/4 c
- well drained maraschino cherries, chopped
- 1/2 tsp
- rum extract
- red and green food coloring
How to Make Mark's Spumoni Cookies
- 1Mix butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Blend thoroughly. Stir in flour and salt. Divide dough into 3 equal parts.
To the first part add melted chocolate. Mix well. To second part add pistacio nuts and 1-2 drops green food coloring. Mix well. To the third part add cherries, rum extract, and 2-3 drops red food coloring. Mix well.
- 2Shape each part into a 16 inch long by 3 inch wide flat rectangle. Layer colors on top of each other with the chocolate dough in the center. Press dough together to make a loaf shaped bar. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill dough for at least 2 hours.
- 3When ready to bake preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slice cookies 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets for about 8 minutes. Do NOT overbake. Cookies should not be brown but when lightly touched there should be no imprint left behind. Remove from oven and cool on wire racks.