★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 Tbspanise seed, crushed
2 tspgrated lemon peel, optional
3 tspbaking powder
2-3 cadditional flour
How to Make Springerle Cookies
- Beat eggs for 15 or more minutes, until lemony in color.
- Gradually beat the sugar into the eggs, continue to beat.
- Add Anise Seeds, Lemon peel, baking powder, salt.
- Add 2 cups of flour.
- Slowly add more flour until the dough is stiff enough to be rolled out, and mix with your hands band make very stiff .... unless you plan to make drop cookies and only add a small amount if planning to make drop cookies and make them softer.
- Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Then roll springerle rolling pin across dough once to place design on the dough or press with springerle press. Cut apart and place on greased cookie sheet, freeze over night. Bake next day for 10-15 minutes at 325 degrees. DO NOT ALLOW TO BROWN AT ALL.... Bake only until dough is set. Place on rack to cool. Place in airtight container and store in cool place at least a month or longer before eating....