Spitzbuben - A German Holiday Cookie
Baking Tip: spray Pam on baking sheets and line with parchment paper - the Pam will help the paper stick to the baking sheet.
- 3 1/4 c
- sifted flour
- 2 1/2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 1/2 stick
- unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 c
- sugar, divided*
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 c
- finely ground pecans (put in coffee grinder)
- 1 small
- jar peach jam (or whatever flavor you prefer - seedless raspberry is good too)
How to Make Spitzbuben - A German Holiday Cookie
- 1Heat oven to 350.
- 2Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
Mix butter, vanilla, *1 1/2 c. sugar, eggs and milk. Beat well. Add flour mixture and ground nuts. Mix well. Divide dough into 2 - 3 portions. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate several hours.
- 3Flour wooden board and rolling pin. Cut w/cookie cutters (I use the small gingerbread man cutters for Christmas)and place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- 4Bake approx. 10 min. until VERY lightly browned. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Cool to a warm temp. While still warm spread a cookie with jam, put another cookie on top to make a cookie sandwich and roll in remaining *1 c. sugar. Place on racks to cool. Store in tightly covered plastic container. Cookies are best when eaten the next day.