Spitzbuban German "Little Rascals" Cookies
They are a definite must try and a sure to be hit : )
·3/4 c sugar
·3/4 cups sweet butter
·6 medium egg yolks (hard boiled and removed from whites)
·1 teaspoon vanilla extract
·2 1/2 tablespoons good white rum
·2 cups sifted flour
·1/8 teaspoon salt
·jam or jelly (red raspberry is called for but i have used many varieties)
·powdered or granulated sugar for topping
How to Make Spitzbuban German "Little Rascals" Cookies
- Cream sugar and butter on medium speed until fluffy
- Squish hard boiled egg yolks thru a wire strainer into the butter and sugar mix. Add vanilla and rum and mix this all in well.
- Add flour and salt gradually and mix well with a spoon after each addition of these.
- Place dough in a bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Take a fifth of the dough and roll it out between two sheets of waxed paper until it is about 1/8 of an inch in thickness. (your other dough should be left in frig till ready to use)
- Remove top sheet of waxed paper gently. Cut cookies using a round cutter or glass. (cutter may be scalloped or have design cutout in center) Cut cookies in 2 different sizes. one just a bit smaller than the first.
- Put cookies on ungreased cookie sheet and bake in 350 degree oven till edges are slightly browned (about 8 to 10 minutes)
- Remove cookies from oven and cool on racks. Once cooled spread jam or jelly over bottom side of smaller cookies. Place the smaller cookie on top of the larger cookies. Dust tops of cookies with podered or granulated sugar.
- NOTE: You can make these with three layers by adding another cookie side and two layers of jam or jelly. Grandma always made hers in 2 layers but i have seen them done with three.