When I found this recipe I was leery since I had never used lard before. After making this recipe, I was hooked. I can't imagine using vegetable shortening for this.
The aroma that these cookies impart is absolutely intoxicating. Cinnamon, sugar with an indescribable wholesome, savory undertone. One of my favorite cookie recipes.
1 1/2 csugar
2 2/3 csifted flour
2 tspcream of tartar
1 tspbaking soda
How to Make Snickerdoodles
- Beat butter and lard until light; add 1 1/2 cups sugar and beat until fluffy; beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Add to beaten mixture.
- Combine 2 tblsp sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Shape dough into small balls about 1" and roll in sugar/cinnamon mixture. Place balls 2" apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Cookies will flatten when they bake.
- Bake in a hot oven (400) for 10 minutes. Remove to rack to cool.