When I found this recipe I was leery since I had never used lard before. After making this recipe, I was hooked. I can't imagine using vegetable shortening for this.
The aroma that these cookies impart is absolutely intoxicating. Cinnamon, sugar with an indescribable wholesome, savory undertone. One of my favorite cookie recipes.
How to Make Snickerdoodles
- 1Beat butter and lard until light; add 1 1/2 cups sugar and beat until fluffy; beat in eggs and vanilla.
- 2Sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Add to beaten mixture.
- 3Combine 2 tblsp sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon.
- 4Shape dough into small balls about 1" and roll in sugar/cinnamon mixture. Place balls 2" apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Cookies will flatten when they bake.
- 5Bake in a hot oven (400) for 10 minutes. Remove to rack to cool.