SIMPLY ADORABLE SUGAR & GINGERBREAD COOKIES
Peggi Anne Tebben
Colleen Sowa posted a recipe here titled "When Men Bake Cookies". Then a few months later I was approached to make some to sell of the bikini ones. Then she wanted some of the wedding ones...
My next project is to make some with fondant.
I use Doris Ware's gingerbread cookie recipe on here (blue ribbon winner)& a sugar cookie recipe that came with cookie cutters. I have a different recipe for regular sugar cookies.
How to Make SIMPLY ADORABLE SUGAR & GINGERBREAD COOKIES
- DIRECTIONS FOR THE SUGAR or VANILLA CUTOUT COOKIES: Sugar cookies make 31- 2 1/2" full heart shaped cookies & Gingerbread makes 35 partial heart shaped cookies, like for bikini cookies.
- Cream together in large bowl, the butter, sugar, eggs & vanilla.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour baking powder, & salt.
- Add to butter mixture, mixing until well blended.
- Divide dough in half. Cover & refrigerate 1-2 hours or until firm enough to handle.
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets. (If using sprinkles or candies, put on now.)
Note: I use the air bake cookie sheets.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until edges are firm & bottoms are lightly browned.
- Let rest on cookie sheet about 5 minutes, then place on wire rack to cool.
- If using icing, decorate now.
- FOR THE GINGERBREAD COOKIES:
Follow the link & do as directed.
- FOR THE ROYAL ICING:
- In a medium bowl, using hand mixer, beat the egg whites & lemon juice just until combined.
- Add the sifted powdered sugar & beat on low speed until combined & smooth.
*Use the (+ or -) if you want it thinner for spreading or thicker for piping.
If you need to thicken it, add more powdered sugar.
If you need to thin it, add more egg white, not lemon juice, it becomes powdery when dry. (Don't ask me how I know.)
- The icing needs to be used immediately or transferred to an airtight container, as royal icing hardens when exposed to air.
- Do not place royal icing in the fridge either.