SIMPLY ADORABLE SUGAR & GINGERBREAD COOKIES
Peggi Anne Tebben
Colleen Sowa posted a recipe here titled "When Men Bake Cookies". Then a few months later I was approached to make some to sell of the bikini ones. Then she wanted some of the wedding ones...
My next project is to make some with fondant.
I use Doris Ware's gingerbread cookie recipe on here (blue ribbon winner)& a sugar cookie recipe that came with cookie cutters. I have a different recipe for regular sugar cookies.
How to Make SIMPLY ADORABLE SUGAR & GINGERBREAD COOKIES
- 1DIRECTIONS FOR THE SUGAR or VANILLA CUTOUT COOKIES: Sugar cookies make 31- 2 1/2" full heart shaped cookies & Gingerbread makes 35 partial heart shaped cookies, like for bikini cookies.
- 2Cream together in large bowl, the butter, sugar, eggs & vanilla.
- 3In another bowl, stir together the flour baking powder, & salt.
- 4Add to butter mixture, mixing until well blended.
- 5Divide dough in half. Cover & refrigerate 1-2 hours or until firm enough to handle.
- 6Heat oven to 400°.
- 9Place on ungreased cookie sheets. (If using sprinkles or candies, put on now.)
Note: I use the air bake cookie sheets.
- 10Bake 6-8 minutes or until edges are firm & bottoms are lightly browned.
- 11Let rest on cookie sheet about 5 minutes, then place on wire rack to cool.
- 12If using icing, decorate now.
- 13FOR THE GINGERBREAD COOKIES:
Follow the link & do as directed.
- 14FOR THE ROYAL ICING:
- 15In a medium bowl, using hand mixer, beat the egg whites & lemon juice just until combined.
- 16Add the sifted powdered sugar & beat on low speed until combined & smooth.
*Use the (+ or -) if you want it thinner for spreading or thicker for piping.
If you need to thicken it, add more powdered sugar.
If you need to thin it, add more egg white, not lemon juice, it becomes powdery when dry. (Don't ask me how I know.)
- 17The icing needs to be used immediately or transferred to an airtight container, as royal icing hardens when exposed to air.
- 18Do not place royal icing in the fridge either.