Russian Jam Biscuits for Tea Time
- 4 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 teaspoon orange rind
- blackberry preserves or jam
- blueberry preserves or jam
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups raisins
- 1 c sugar
- 1/2 c water
- orange zest from one orange
- 1 pound walnuts ground up very very fine
DOUGH (DRY INGREDIENTS
DOUGH (WET INGREDIENTS)
FILLING (JAM OR PRESERVES)
OPTIONAL NUT FILLING
CINNAMON AND SUGAR MIXED FOR TOPPING AND/OR GLAZE FOR DRIZZLING
How to Make Russian Jam Biscuits for Tea Time
- 1Sift all your dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- 2Now in the center of the dry ingredients make a hole and the remaining dough ingredients. Knead this all together until combined well.
- 3Cover lightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for 2 to 3 hours.
- 4Remove dough from frig and cut into four equal pieces.
- 5To assemble: start by rolling out one piece of dough onto a floured work surface, into a nice circle or triangular shape. Now spread bluberry jam or preserves over entire circle, follow with blackberry jam or preserves layer. (you can use your own combination of jams or use just one kind). Sprinkle over the jam with raisins and then repeat using the nuts.
- 6In jelly roll fashion roll the dough up nicely. Using a pastry brush brush the top and sides of the roll with egg white and then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar
- 7Cut the roll into 1 to 1 1/2 inch slices (about 10 to 12 slices per roll)and place on lightly greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. (Making sure the sugared side is up)
- 8Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove and allow to cool. (You can sprinkle while hot with additional sugar or drizzle them lightly with a glaze of powdered sugar, milk and vanilla)
- 9FOR OPTIONAL NUT FILLING:BRING WATER AND SUGAR TO A BOIL ON THE STOVE IN A SMALL SAUCEPAN. nOW ADD THE ORANGE ZEST AND ALLOW TO SIMMER FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES.REMOVE FROM HEAT AND ALLOW TO COOL.ADD
NUTS TO THIS COOLED SYRUP AND MIX TO COMBINE THOROUGHLY. SPREAD THIS OVER THE DOUGH INSTEAD OF THE JAM OR PRESERVES.