Pumpkin Whoopie Pies from Serious Eats Newsletter
FOR THE PUMPKIN WHOOPIE PIES
3 call-purpose flour
1 tspbaking powder
1 tspbaking soda
2 cfirmly packed dark brown sugar
1 cvegetable oil
3 cchilled pumpkin puree (use "pure" pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix. if using 2 15-ounce cans pure pumpkin, remove 1/4 cup for another purpose. if using 1 29-ounce can pure pumpkin, remove 1/2 cup for another purpose.)
1 tsppure vanilla extract
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FILLING
3 cconfectioner's sugar
1/2 c(1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
8 ozcream cheese, softened
1 tsppure vanilla extract
How to Make Pumpkin Whoopie Pies from Serious Eats Newsletter
- Directions for cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line two baking sheets with Silpat mats.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves toether and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the brown sugar and oil together until combined.
- Add the pumpkin puree and whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Sprinkle the flour mixture over the pumpkin mixture and whisk until completely combined.
- Use a small ice cream scoop with a release mechanism to drop heaping tablespoons of the dough onto the prepared baking sheets about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the cookies are just starting to crack on top and a toothpick inserted into the center of a cookie comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool completely on the pan while you make the filling.
- Directions for Cream Cheese Filling
- Sift the confectioners' sugar into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until is completely smooth, with no visible lumps.
- Add the cream cheese and beat until combined.
- Add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla and beat ultil smooth. Be careful not to overbeat the filling or it will lose structure.
- (The filling can be made 1 day ahead. Cover the bowl tightly and put it in the refrigerator. Let the filling soften at room emperature before using.)
- Assemble the Whoopie Pies
- Turn half the cookies upside down, flat side facing up.
- Use an ice cream scoop or a tablespoon to drop a large dollop of filling onto the flat side of the cookie.
- Place another cookie, flat side down, on top of the filling. Press down slightly so that the filling spreads to the edges of the cookie.
- Repeat until all the cookies are used.
- Put the Whoopie Pies into the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to firm up before serving.
- The whoopie pies will keep for up to 3 days, on a parchment-lined baking sheet covered with plastic wrap, in the refrigerator.