Polish Poppyseed Meltaway cookies
·1/2 c butter, softened at room temp
·1/2 c sugar
·1 1/2 tablespoons poppyseeds
·1/8 teaspoon baking soda
·1 tablespoon milk
·1 egg yolk
·3/4 teaspoon vanilla
·2 1/4 teaspoons shredded lemon peel
·1 1/2 c flour
FOR ROLLING COOKIES IN:
How to Make Polish Poppyseed Meltaway cookies
- Beat butter on high for about 30 seconds in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Now add sugar, baking soda and the poppyseeds and beat until combined
- Beat in milk, egg yolk, vanilla and lemon peel
- Now beat in as much flour as you possibly can using your mixer, then you will stir in all remaining flour with a wooden spoon
- Divide your dough in half and then shape each half into a roll about 9 inches in lenghth. (should resemble a log)
- Wrap the logs in palstic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 to 5 hours.
- Once dough has been refrigerated cut it into slices using a very sharp knife. Put the slices on an ungreased cookie sheet, leaving about an inch in between each slice. Bake cookies at 375 degrees for 7 to 10 minutes or until the edges of cookies are firm.
- While cookies are still warm roll them in the confectioners sugar. Then place on wire racks to cool completely.
- When cookies are cooled completely roll them again in the confectioners sugar
- Enjoy these wonderful meltaways with your family