Polish Poppyseed Meltaway cookies
- 1/2 c butter, softened at room temp
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppyseeds
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 teaspoons shredded lemon peel
- 1 1/2 c flour
- confectioners sugar
FOR ROLLING COOKIES IN:
How to Make Polish Poppyseed Meltaway cookies
- 1Beat butter on high for about 30 seconds in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- 2Now add sugar, baking soda and the poppyseeds and beat until combined
- 3Beat in milk, egg yolk, vanilla and lemon peel
- 4Now beat in as much flour as you possibly can using your mixer, then you will stir in all remaining flour with a wooden spoon
- 5Divide your dough in half and then shape each half into a roll about 9 inches in lenghth. (should resemble a log)
- 6Wrap the logs in palstic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 to 5 hours.
- 7Once dough has been refrigerated cut it into slices using a very sharp knife. Put the slices on an ungreased cookie sheet, leaving about an inch in between each slice. Bake cookies at 375 degrees for 7 to 10 minutes or until the edges of cookies are firm.
- 8While cookies are still warm roll them in the confectioners sugar. Then place on wire racks to cool completely.
- 9When cookies are cooled completely roll them again in the confectioners sugar
- 10Enjoy these wonderful meltaways with your family