I promise you these will be a HUGE hit amongst dessert lovers in your family and groups of friends. Definitely a nice way to satisfy anyone's sweet tooth! :)
((P.S. Pictures to come ASAP!))
·pie filling of your choice (canned or homemade will work just fine.)
1box frozen pie crusts (2 total) ((i usually prefer making mine homemade))
1-2 Tbspsugar crystals, granulated sugar or sugar substitute (i.e. splenda, truvia, etc.)
·whipped cream, for serving (optional)
How to Make Pie Cookies
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
Take out your pie crusts and let them sit and defrost as per box instructions. (If you have made your own crust, simply make sure that it is ready to be handled and rolled out.)
- Lay out some parchment paper on a flat surface and roll out defrosted pie crusts. Using a 2.5-3" circle cutter (or using the top of a can of pie filling), cut circles out of one of the crusts. (You can also roll out the scraps and get a few more cookies. :))
- Out of the second crust, cut strips about 1/4 inch wide. (If you're using canned pie filling, make sure, if it's a filling like apple or cherry or other fruits, that it is poured out onto a cutting board and the bigger chunks are chopped into more bite-size pieces.) Place 1 heaping Tablespoon of pie filling into the middle of each of the circles.
- Using the strips you cut from the other crust, weave them together on top of the cookie to make a lattice. Once lattice is finished, use either a paring knife or your same circle cutter to trim away any stray edges. Brush each "pie" with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper or a silpat (silicone bakeware sheet). Bake at 375 F for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and leave on baking sheet for about 2-3 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool.
Serve topped with whipped cream, if desired.