Turnips 2 Tangerines (Lynn H)
2 call purpose flour
1/4 cpacked brown sugar
3/4 tspground cinnamon
1/2 tspbaking soda
1/4 tspground cardamon
1/4 tspground allspice
1/8 tspblack pepper
How to Make Pfeffernuesse
- In a small saucepan combine the molasses and butter. Cook and stir over low heat until butter melts. Remove saucepan from the heat. Pour mixture into a large bowl and cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, cardamom, allspice, and pepper. Set aside.
- Stir egg into cooled molasses mixture. Gradually stir in flour mixture until combined; knead in the last of the flour mixture by hand, if necessary. Cover and chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Divide dough into 12 portions. On a lightly floured surface roll each portion into a 10-inch rope. Cut ropes into 1/2-inch pieces. Place pieces 1/2 inch apart in an ungreased shallow baking pan.
- Bake in 350 degree oven about 10 mins. or until edges are firm and bottoms are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to paper towels; cool. Makes 240 small cookies.
- To Store: Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.