PEPPERNUTS COOKIES (Pfeffernusse)
Peggi Anne Tebben
They are a small, hard cookie & are great!
You form these into rolls about as big around as a dime & chill, then slice thin & bake. I usually make about 1000 of these to put in Christmas goodies boxes.
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup crisco
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. anise oil
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. soda dissolved in 1/2 cup hot strong coffee
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- 1 cup pecans, ground
- *6 to 8 cups flour
How to Make PEPPERNUTS COOKIES (Pfeffernusse)
- 1Cream sugars and shortening well.
- 2Mix in anise oil and egg.
- 3Add coffee solution.
- 4Add salt and spices to 1 cup of flour and sift.
- 5Mix into batter.
- 6Add ground pecans and enough of the remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
*I've never had to use more than 6 cups of flour.
- 7Roll into dime-size rolls, place on tray and chill.
- 8Cut thin, spread on baking sheet and bake at 325° to 350° for 10 minutes or until hard.