3.25 call purpose flour
2.5 tspbaking powder, double-acting
1 tspvanilla extract
·finely chopped nuts
How to Make Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies
- ln a large bowl, measure all ingredients except egg white and topping.
- With mixer at medium speed, beat until well mixed - scraping sides of bowl; mixture will be crumbly.
- Shape dough into ball and wrap with waxed paper; refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours until easy to handle.
- When ready to start baking, preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease cookie sheets.
- On lightly floured surface, roll half of dough at a time, keeping the rest refrigerated.
- For crisp cookies, roll dough paper-thin and for softer cookies roll out dough 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick.
- With floured cookie cutters, cut dough into various shapes.
- Reroll dough trimmings and continue to cut shapes.
- Place cookies 1/2-inch apart on cookie sheets.
- To glaze, brush tops of cookies with the beaten egg white and water mixture.
- Sprinkle cookies with finely chopped nuts or granulated sugar beaten with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Bake for 8 minutes at 400 degrees or until very light brown.
- Remove cookies to rack; cool completely--Makes 5 dozen cookies.