★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 3 1/2 c
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- baking powder
- 3/4 tsp
- 4 large
- eggs, 2 egg yolks, and one egg white for brushing
- 2 c
- granulated sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp
- almond liqueur, such as disaronno
- 1 Tbsp
- anise seed
- 4 c
- coarsely chopped whole almonds
How to Make My Favorite Biscotti
- 1Adjust oven rack to lower-middle & upper positions & heat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 large, rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 2Whisk flour, baking powder & salt in a medium bowl. Beat eggs, egg yolks & sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until light, about 2 minutes; beat in vanilla, liqueur & anise. Beat in dry ingredients & then almonds to form sticky but workable dough.
- 3Divide dough into four portions on a heavily floured board, rolling each portion into an approximate 15- x 2-inch log.
- 4Carefully transfer 2 logs to each baking sheet brushing each with egg white & sprinkling with sugar. Bake until pale golden & just beginning to crack, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 5Cool cookie logs on baking sheet until tepid, about 40 minutes. Keeping oven racks in position, heat oven to 200 degrees. Slice logs diagonally 1/2 inch thick with a serrated knife, laying slices on baking sheets in single layer. (There will be enough cookies for 3 sheets) Working 2 sheets at a time, bake biscotti until crisp & golden, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven & cool. Can be stored in airtight container up to 2. weeks