MRS. T's CONGO BARS ~ Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
They always disappeared fast and mom baked another pan. She always made a pan of brownies when she made these too!
I baked these for my kids too. I also baked these and sent these when it was thier turn to take treats. They were always the first treat gone. One mother asked what was in them ~ Lots of chocolate!
This recipe I have given to many mothers and kids who asked for it.
Kids love these and so do big kids. They are easy to make and taste so good!
2 3/4 cflour
2 1/2 tspbaking powder
2/3 cshortening (you can substitute butter)
2 1/4 cbrown sugar packed
112 ounce pkg. chocolate chips
1 cnuts chopped (optional)
How to Make MRS. T's CONGO BARS ~ Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Melt shortening or butter. Add brown sugar. Stir until well mixed. Allow to cool slightly. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add one egg at a time beating well after each egg.
- Add dry ingredients just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Place in a greased jelly roll pan. I grease my hands to pat in down in pan. Try to pat in evenly in pat, but it does not need to be perfect.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes. Watch the oven for browning. I usually bake them about 25 minutes. I like them brown!
- When almost cool, you can cut them. Enjoy!
- Some people like to sprinkle them with powdered sugar lightly, for looks!