Moreish Cookies with Jam
This cookie is from my English Great-great grandmother. Recipe has been modified for our measurements and names of ingredients.
Blue Ribbon Recipe
The almonds and almond extract add lovely flavor this recipe. This cookie is not overly sweet and would pair perfectly with an cup of afternoon tea. The Test Kitchen
11 Tbsppowdered sugar
scant2 cups all purpose flour
6 1/2 Tbspcornstarch
1/3 calmond, ground
1 cplus 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into cubes
1/2 tspalmond extract
·powdered sugar for dusting
·jam of your choice
How to Make Moreish Cookies with Jam
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Sift the icing sugar, flour and corn flour into a large bowl. Add the ground almonds and give it a good stir.
- Drop in the butter. Rub the butter into the dry mixture with your fingertips until there are no visible lumps of butter.
- Stir in the almond essence. Turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured board and knead it a few times to form a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball. (about an inch and a half in diameter) Using a 3 inch smooth edged cutter place the cutter on top of the parchment paper lined baking sheet. Drop one of the balls inside and push it down to fill the ring, flattening the top slightly with your fingertips.
- Repeat with the remaining dough balls, placing them about 2 inches apart. You will not be able to fit all of them on one sheet, so will have to do this in two batches.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes until they are light golden in colour. Remove them from the oven and immediately tamp down an indentation in the middle of each biscuit to hold the jam. I use the tip of a wooden spoon and make an indentation about ½ inch in diameter.
- Let the biscuits cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before removing them to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
When completely cool, dust the tops with icing sugar and add jam.