Mom's portuguese DRY RINGS (Rosquilhas secas)
How to Make Mom's portuguese DRY RINGS (Rosquilhas secas)
- IN A SMALL cup,dissolve yeast in water and the pinch of sugar stir and set aside.
MEANWHILE ,combined the milk with the butter and sugar in a 1 quart saucepan.
PLACE over medium-low heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.
- BEAT the eggs in large bowl.
GRADUALLY whisk in the hot milk.
Mix in 2 cups of flour. ADD the dissolved yeast and enough of the remaining flour,(3to 3 1/2 cups).
TO form medium- texture dough.
- KNEAD in the bowl until smooth and elastic,about 10 minutes..COVER well and set aside in a warm place to rise,until double in size,about 2 hours.
- PUNCH,punch down and let the dough rise once more until it doubles.
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350* WHEN the dough is ready, an indentation should remain in the dough after,lightly pressing with your finger.
PINCH off walnut- sized pieces of dough.
USING the gentle hand,roll them into balls, then into 1/2- inch thick,6- inch ropes.
PRESS the ends firmly together.FORMING a ring, stretch the rings slightly to open the center hole.
- PLACE on a parchment - lined or lightly greased baking sheet,1 1/2 inches apart.
PLACE in the preheated oven.
BAKE THEM AT 350 for15 minutes.REDUCE the temp .
to 300 * and continue to bake until the rings start to color. REDUCE oven to 250* and continue to bake for 1 hour more.
WHEN done let the cookie rings stay in the oven until they dry out.MAKE SURE TO CHECK ON THEM AND NOT TO OVER BROWN THEM
THEY SHOULD BE CRISP,AND DRY,NOT HARD AND OVER BAKED.
- TIP or (variation )You can dress the rings up with sugar glaze.
Combine 3 cups confectioners sugar and 1/2 water until smooth.ADD 1/2to 1 tablespoon of flavor.Either vanilla or lemon extracts. IT makes about 3 dozens.
AND THEN SHARE AND PASS IT AROUND THE TABLE ,CUP OF TEA OR MILK. Memories all coming back again me as a kid rolling the .Rosquilhas secas.