★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 1/2 cchopped dates
2 cbrown sugar
1/2 tspbaking soda
1 tspvanilla extract
How to Make Mom Elliott's Date Pinwheel Cookies
Combine chopped dates, sugar and water in a medium saucepan.
- Cook 10 minutes or until thick. Stirring often.
- Remove from heat to cool.
Cream shortening, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well. You may need to use your hands to get all of the flour mixed in.
- Roll out on, lightly floured, waxed paper to 1/4 inch thick.
- Spread cooled date mixture evenly onto dough, leaving one long side bare to seal edge.
- Roll up, jelly roll style. Seal edge.
- Wrap in waxed paper and chill for 1 hour (or freeze for later use).
- Cut roll into 1/2 inch thick cookies and place on a cookie sheet, leaving room to expand.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool on cookie sheet before removing to wire rack.