Molasses Spice Cookies
1/2 lbbutter or other shortening melted and cooled to lukewarm
2 1/2 csugar
1 Tbspbaking soda
1/4 cplus 1 tablespoon warm water
3 1/2 cflour
How to Make Molasses Spice Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter, sugar cloves (don't forget to grind or crush the cloves if you use whole), cinnamon, egg and salt. Beat well.
- Put 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon warm water in a small cup, dissolve the baking soda in it, than stir into the butter/shortening mix.
- Beat in the molasses, than stir in the flour until all is well combined.
- Drop the dough in well seperated, walnut size lumps onto greased baking sheets. (if you don't grease baking sheets you will have trouble getting cookies off)
- Bake for 7 - 10 minutes until cookies are just baked through and starting to brown.
- Cool on wire racks. Cookies will be wrinkly, soft on the inside and crisp on the edges.