Blue Ribbon Recipe
Crunchy and full of flavor, this is a perfect recipe for a cookie exchange. It makes a multitude of cookies that all will enjoy. A cookie to enjoy with coffee - they're perfect for dunking! The Test Kitchen
1 1/2 cmelted butter
1/2 cdark molasses
2 largeeggs, beaten
4 tspbaking soda
1 Tbspground cinnamon
4 call purpose flour
1/2 csanding sugar (raw sugar)
How to Make Molasses Crackles
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl. Mix in the sugar and the molasses. Let it cool on the counter. Mix the eggs in a cup. Wait for the butter mixture to cool so it won't cook the eggs.
- Add the eggs and and stir in well. Then add in the spices, salt, soda.
- Add the flour in 1 cup increments, mixing well after each addition. The dough will be stiff at this point. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Overnight is better.
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Rack in the center of oven. I use a walnut sized scoop (2 Tbs.) and drop into sanding sugar, roll around and put 12 cookies per greased cookie sheet. I use parchment paper. Bake 10-12 min. The cookies will flatten out by themselves as they bake. Move to cooling rack to cool completely.
- The cookies freeze well also. Wrap in foil and place in a freeze bag. They'll be fine for 3 months or so. If you freeze the balls don't roll in sugar until you are ready to bake.