Mock English Toffee
I actually have had someone pay me to make them three trays, so they could give them out as Christmas gifts to their friends and family.
They could be a cookie or candy. Tastes somewhat like a Heath candy bar.
How to Make Mock English Toffee
- Preheat oven to 375 Degrees.
- Line the bottom of 9X13 Pan with the Saltine Crackers. Make sure the entire bottom of the pan is covered with the crackers. (depending on your pan, it might take more of less of the Saltines) Mine is 5 across, 6 down.
Put the lined pan aside.
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter and brown sugar, on medium heat, stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
When it comes to a rolling boil, cook for 5 more minutes, while still stirring constantly with whisk.
- Remove pan from stove and pour the boiling mixture over the saltines, covering all the crackers.
- Place in oven and bake for 7 minutes, or until the it starts to bubble. No longer, or it will burn.
- Turn oven off and remove pan and place on counter. Pour the entire package of chocolate chips over the bubbling mixture. (The crackers may bubble out of place a bit, so adjust them with a fork and push them down so they go to the bottom of the pan.)
Let the chocolate chips melt. They will turn shiny when then they are melted. (I put the pan back in the hot oven for only for a few seconds so they all melt) and spread the chocolate chips evenly covering the entire layer of crackers and butter/sugar mixture.
- Sprinkle the nuts over the chocolate, and let cool.
Cut into squares and enjoy.