Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
From the Food Charlatan.
1 cbutter, softened
1 1/2 csugar
1 tsppeppermint extract
10drops green food coloring
3 1/4 cflour, leveled
2 tspbaking powder
1 tspbaking soda
1 tspcream of tartar
1/2 tspkosher salt
12 ozdark chocolate chips, divided
How to Make Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line one or more baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, then beat on medium for about 2 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and yolk, peppermint extract, and food coloring.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and combine until the flour is not quite incorporated.
- Divide chocolate chips in 2 piles. From 1 pile, reserve 1/3 cup. Add the rest of the pile to the dough.
- Chop the other half coarsely, with a knife or in a food processor.
- Add the chopped chocolate to the dough, and mix until just combined.
- Cover the dough and refrigerate for about an hour, if desired.
- Use a 2-inch cookie scoop to form balls of dough and drop them on the cookie sheet. These are very large cookies, I only did 6-8 cookies per pan.
- Bake at 350 for about 8-10 minutes, or until BARELY starting to brown on the edges. The centers should mostly be not-shiny when you take them out, but a little shine is okay.
- With the 1/3 cup whole chips that you reserved, push them into the baked cookies immediately after taking them out of the oven. This will melt them slightly and make them ooey gooey.
- Let cool 5 minutes on the pan, then remove to a cooling rack.