MERRY MINCEMEATERS OR APPLE SNAPPLES
The same recipe is used for either Mincemeat or Apple. I use Vanilla for the apples instead of the Almond.
I took them to work for a cookie pig out for the employees and they were a rave sensation with many requests for the recipe. Now you have it and I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
- 28 oz jar of mincemeat or 2 cans of comstock apple pie filling
- 2 1/2 c
- sifted or all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp
- eggs (or one jumbo or large)
- 1/4 tsp
- 3/4 c
- butter (stick only not whipped) or oleo
- 2/3 can(s)
- 1 tsp
- almond extract or vanillia if apples are used.
- 1 c
- walnuts (chopped small) for topping
How to Make MERRY MINCEMEATERS OR APPLE SNAPPLES
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees & spray a large baking sheet with Pan spray.
PREPARATION: Sift flour, cinnamon and salt together. Set aside.
Cream butter and sugar. Crack open egg (reserve a tablespoon of white for toppping) blend in unbeaten egg with butter and sugar. Beat well, adding 1 tsp. Almond extract or vanilla if apples are used. Stir in dry ingredients. Mix well.
- 2Roll out half the dough on waxed paper to rectangle to fit size of sheet pan. Place on sheet pan. Spread mincemeat or Apple filling, leaving 1/8" border.
NOTE: in order to place top dough on the filled one, maasure a piece of waxed paper the size of pan. Put remaining doguh on this and cover with another piece of waxed paper. Roll out to size of filled one. Remove top sheet of waxed paper and carefully invert the remaining dough over the filling. Adjust dough if needed before removing waxed paper.
- 3Pinch edges to seal and brush with reserved egg white.
Sprinkle with Walnuts while egg is wet and press lightly to secure. (nuts are optional)
- 4Bake for an hour uncovered on middle rack of oven or until crust is browned evenly on the top. If top looks translucent, bake longer until cooked through. Remove and let set for about ten minutes and then cut into squares or bars.
I know you will love them.