Meringue cookies with chips & espresso
- 3 to 4 egg whites room temp
- a pinch of salt
- 3/4 c
- super fine sugar
- 1/8 tsp
- cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 2 tsp
- instant espresso powder ( i have used non instant)
- 2/3 c
- semi-sweet mini chocloate chips
How to Make Meringue cookies with chips & espresso
- 1Place oven rack in the center of the oven, preheat the oven to 300 deg. some have used 250. line baking sheet with parchment paper, set to the side.
- 2In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg white and salt until frothy this will take about 1 minute
- 3With the machine on medium-high speed gradually add the sugar about 1 tablespoon at a time, add the cream of tarter, vanilla and espresso powder. Increase speed to high and beat until the mixture is thick and holds a stiff peak this will take between 3-5 minutes.
- 4Using a spatula fold in the chocolate chips then drop 1/4 - 1/2 cup ( I used a large spoon) of the mixture onto the prepared sheet about 2 inches apart. bake for 30 minutes
- 5Rotate the pan and bake for another 30 minutes, turn oven off and allow the meringues to cool completely while still in the oven this will take about 2 hours. store in airtight container.
- 6my research shows a few changes to this receipe. some cook it at 400 for 40 minutes, but most complain they burn after 30 min. some cook it at 250. I also noted a lot of these call for instant espresso powder I did not and have seen others that do not call for the instant, the other day I used Starbucks brand expresso in my brownies I will have to look at the bag in the store to see if it was instant or not but I do not think it was, I will get back to you on that matter, I am beginning to wonder if all espressos are in fact instant. You can even add cocoa powder & chips, lastly i have seen regular sugar replaced with powdered