Maple Twist Cookies
When mom moved into Assisted Living a few years ago, her Christmas cookie recipes were part of the "treasures" that she passed on to me.
So now, the week before Christmas, mom comes over and "we" make the cookies together. I think she enjoys her new supervisory roll.
Maple Twists are a bit labor intensive but, trust me, they are soooooooo worth it.
- 5 c
- walnuts chopped in blender
- 1 stick
- butter (room temperature)
- 1/3 c
- brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp
- maple flavoring (if you can't find maple flavoring, you can use vanilla)
- 4 c
- 4 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 tsp
- 2/3 c
- 1/2 c
- eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 c
- 1 c
- 1 c
- powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
ICING (MEASUREMENTS ARE APPROXIMATE)
How to Make Maple Twist Cookies
- 1Mix all filling ingredients together and set aside.
- 2Place flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- 3Beat butter and sugar in mixer and add eggs and raisins.
- 4Add the flour mixture and milk to butter mixture - alternating.
- 5Turn dough onto floured surface. Shape into a ball and cut into four pieces.
- 6Roll one piece of dough into a 12 inch log on floured surface. Take a rolling pin and very gently roll the log into a 5" x 12" rectangle.
- 7Place 1/4 of the filling along the bottom edge of the dough and fold the top edge of the dough over the filling. Pinch the seems and flatten the rectangle a little with your hands - making a "package".
- 8Cut the dough vertically into 1" pieces. You'll wind up with about 12 pieces.
- 9Hold each cookie piece in hands and twist twice away from your body. Place on cookie sheet and press the ends of each cookie down onto the cookie sheet.
- 10Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. They do not brown.
- 11Repeat with other four pieces of dough.
- 12Mix icing ingredients in bowl.
- 13When the cookies are cool, top with icing. I just use my finger to "paint" the icing on top.
- 14Now...(and this is important)...make a cup of tea, take two cookies and sit in your special chair. Eat and sip....or do what I do...dunk and eat. OMG - you will be so happy!!!!!