Janice (Jan) Barlow
1 1/3 csugar
2 tsppure vanilla extract
1 tspgrated lemon peel
2 call-purpose flour
2 1/2 stickunsalted butter, melted, cooled slightly
How to Make Madeleines
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously butter and flour pans for large madelines (apx. 3 x 1-1/4 inches (Pans are a metal mold with scallop-shaped indentations, sold at cookware stores)
- Using electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar in large bowl just to blend.
- Beat in vanilla, lemon peel and salt.
- Add flour; beat just until blended. Gradually add cooled melted butter in a steady stream, beating until blended
- Spoon 1 tbsp batter into each indentation in pan. Bake until puffed and brown, about 16 minutes (Note: my first batch was way too brown and 10-12 minutes gave me a better result, at least for my oven)
- Cool 5 minutes. Gently remove from pan to cooling rack. Repeat process, buttering and flouring pan before each batch. These can be done 1 day ahead
- Dust with powdered sugar; or drizzle with lemon glaze; or dip end into chocolate