These make great holiday cookies.
- double soda crackers (40 singles)
- 1 1/4 tsp
- double acting baking powder
- 1/4 tsp
- cream of tartar
- egg whites ; room temp.
- 1 1/3 c
- 1 tsp
- almond extract
- 1 pkg
- flaked coconut (3.5oz)
How to Make Macaroon Meringues
- 1Crush crackers into fine crumbs ; mix in the double acting baking powder ; stir well and set aside.
- 2Place the eggs in a medium bowl and sprinkle the cream of tartar over top the eggs ; Beat the eggs whites until stiff but not dry .
- 3Gradually add the sugar and when you have stiff peaks gradually add the almond extract.
- 4Fold in the cracker crumbs and then the coconut.
- 5Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet , 2" apart.
- 6Bake @ 375° for 12 minutes or until browned.
- 7Cool on the cookie sheet away from drafts , once cooled remove to wire rack until the bottom is dry.
- 8Store in an air tight container.