These make great holiday cookies.
20double soda crackers (40 singles)
1 1/4 tspdouble acting baking powder
1/4 tspcream of tartar
4egg whites ; room temp.
1 1/3 csugar
1 tspalmond extract
1 pkgflaked coconut (3.5oz)
How to Make Macaroon Meringues
- Crush crackers into fine crumbs ; mix in the double acting baking powder ; stir well and set aside.
- Place the eggs in a medium bowl and sprinkle the cream of tartar over top the eggs ; Beat the eggs whites until stiff but not dry .
- Gradually add the sugar and when you have stiff peaks gradually add the almond extract.
- Fold in the cracker crumbs and then the coconut.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet , 2" apart.
- Bake @ 375° for 12 minutes or until browned.
- Cool on the cookie sheet away from drafts , once cooled remove to wire rack until the bottom is dry.
- Store in an air tight container.