Cara J Mastrangello
The cookie recipe here is my favorite sugar cookie recipe, it makes great cut out or drop cookies and they freeze really well.
1 1/2 csoftened butter
2 cwhite sugar
1 tspalmond extract (vanilla is what the original recipe called for)
5 call purpose flour
2 tspbaking powder
4 cconfectioners sugar
5 Tbspalmond milk *
·i use almond milk in almost all my cooking because we have lactose intolerant children, regular milk is fine
1 tspalmond or vanilla extract
few dropsfood coloring (optional)
·yellow, brown and green m&m's
·yellow and green nerds
·same color candy sprinkles
·cake decorating gels in black, red, orange, green, yellow, blue and purple
·shamrock shaped sprinkles
How to Make Lucky Cookies
1. In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time then add almond/vanilla extract.
2. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt until completely combined.
3. Cover and chill at least one hour, I like to let it chill overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and set out ungreased cookie sheets.
5. Roll dough out onto a floured surface so it is about 1/4 inch thick and cut your shapes out.
6. Lay cut dough onto your cookie sheets about 1-2 inches apart and bake 6-8 minutes.
7. Allow to cool about 3-5 minutes before moving to cooling racks to cool completely before decorating.
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream confectioners sugar and shortening until it is smooth.
2. Beat in the milk 1 Tbsp at a time followed by the almond/vanilla extract.
3. Continue beating until it is smooth and stiff, about 5-7 minutes. If it is too thin add more confectioners sugar.
4. If desired add food coloring and beat until color is combined.
- Decorating tips:
1. Completely spread a thin layer of icing over cookie.
2. Place your candies before using the decorator gel, it is just MUCH easier that way!
3. Make shamrocks by placing 3 green m&m's in a triangle and then tracing around them and place a "stem" with green decorating gel.
4. Pot o' gold is easy and almost realistic with yellow nerds and black decorator gel; place the nerds and then draw a pot under it. Even more fun is drawing a rainbow to it!