These cookies are very addictive! I would suggest using a nonstick cookie sheet or a silpat because the crushed lemon heads melt and than become hard after cooling.
NOTE/Crushing Lemon Heads:
The lemonheads do not need to be superfine. Just crush them so that each lemonhead is broken. If you crush them too fine than you won't get that little crunch in the cookies.
★★★★★ 3 votes5
1/2 cunsalted butter, softened
1/2 cwhite sugar
1/4 cbrown sugar
1 tsplemon extract
1/2 tspvanilla extract
1/2 tspbaking soda
1 1/2 call purpose flour
1/2 clemon heads candy (3 ounces or heaping half cup), crushed
How to Make Lemonhead Cookies
- In a small bowl combine the salt, flour, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl cream softened butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg, lemon extract, and vanilla. Beat until incorporated.
NOTE: Adjust the amount of lemon extract to your liking. The vanilla in this recipe is optional but I like the flavor of vanilla and lemon together.
- Add the crushed lemon heads to the butter/sugar mixture and combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter/sugar/lemon head mixture and combine. (The dough may be a bit stiff)
- Form into 1 tablespoon sized balls and place on a cookie sheet. Flatten the cookies slightly.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.