You need a Krumkake iron & a wooden spool to make these delicate cookes.
I have a Jotul Krumkake iron & their recipe. It's the only recipe I have found I like. These are done on top of my stove. I have never used an electric one..to me it just wouldn't be traditional in keeping with Christmas.
My Jotul irons & Dutch oven always went with us when we would go camping. We made waffles, Pletts, Aebleskivers, along with omeletts on our camp stove.
- 1 c
- organic whole sour cream, kosher will work too
- 1 c
- organic all purpose flour
- 1/4 c
- exlarge beaten organic egg at room temp.
- 1/8 tsp
- fiori di sicilia, vanilla, orange, or lemon pure extract
- powdered sugar for dusting
- whipped cream, sweetened (optional)
- fresh berries (optional)
How to Make Krumkake
- 2Heat your iron and spray both sides with a none stick spray or you can use oil and lightly oil both sides
- 3Put a small spoonful of batter in the center of the iron and close it. Turn. Lightly brown on both sides. Quickly remove from iron by rolling on the spool.
Pipe the whipped sweeten cteam into the Krmkake and place a berry on top. Place on a serving plater and dust with powdered sugar. Or serve them just with powdered sugar sifted on them. I have add small chocolate chips to the whipped cream and served that that why too.
Handle these with care as they break easily.
Warning..if you are using the whipped cream filling, you must serve them immediately as the whipped cream will cause the cookie to get icky.