- 1 lb
- soft unsalted butter
- 1 c
- 1/2 c. sugar & 1/2 c. powder sugar
- egg, beaten
- 1-2 oz
- brandy (secrete ingredient)
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 2 c
- walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 tsp
- ground cloves
- 1 tsp
- 4-6 c
- swan cake flour or 1 box
- extra powder sugar for sifting
How to Make Kourambiathes/Greek Cookies
- 1In mixer, cream butter & sugars until light & fluffy, about 5 min., then add one ingredient at a time; egg, booze (don't worry the alcohol bakes off),vanilla & nut.s. Add the salt, gradually add the flour, mix to form a soft but not sticky dough. Let it rest for 5-10 min..cove with plastic wrap.
Hint; I usually start cleaning up during this time, then have a sip of brandy! LOl
- 2Turn on oven to 350*F. Now, remove bowl from stand, pinch off small amounts at a time (have un-greased baking sheet ready with parchment paper) shape into oval, round half-moon shapes, place 1 inch apart. Bake for 15-25 minutes (depending on size)or until brown on the bottom.
- 3In the meantime take a bowl, insert a plastic bag and put half bag of powder sugar. While the cookies are still warm,roll them in the sugar bowl (I use this method, less damage / mess)allow to cool on a tray lined with parchment paper & dusted with sifted p.sugar, then sift more powder sugar over them.
That's it! Let stand uncovered for 24-48 hours to make sure they dry. Once they are dry, you can place them in a sealed container, powder sugar/cookies/wax paper, repeat. Store in a cool dark space. When it comes time to serve, place them on a platter/p. sugared or in cupcake papers. Remember to sift with p.sugar to look their best!