Jan Hagel Cookies (Dutch Holiday)
How to Make Jan Hagel Cookies (Dutch Holiday)
- 1Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- 2Cream shortening, add, sugar, egg yolk, cream well.
- 3Add vanilla.
- 4Add dry ingredients gradually.
- 5Knead dough a bit and then divide into two equal portions.
- 6Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets.
- 7Using your hands, spread the dough into an even layer on the sheets. (I use a rolling pin at the end to smooth it out.)
- 8Brush with egg white diluted with a little water. Sprinkle with almonds.
- 9Bake 20 minutes, 30 for thicker cookies. Cut on diagonal to create diamond shaped cookies within minutes of removing from oven.