Italian Sponge Cake Cookies
Annamaria Settanni McDonald
Using the cake mix helps create more of a sponge like texture. Between the cake and cookie stage. Not too crumby and not too cakey. PERFECT! You can also be creative and try different flavors, like lemon cake mix, spice cake mix or strawberry cake mix. It's up to you. This is a big batch and is a little work to roll them all but well worth it!
This recipe was given to me a friend of the family who I consider like an Aunt. She is Italian and she has known me since I was born. We lived in an Italian neighborhood when first coming to Italy and they lived on the same street, when they moved to the suburbs, my parents went as well and lived on the same street again just a few houses down like in the old neighborhood. She used to babysit me when I was 3 and her, her husband and their kids are like extended family. Now the grandkids know each other. She's so nice and as soon as she knew how much I loved these cookies, she gave me the recipe. They make a lot but they are so addicting to eat. Perfect when we sit around drinking espresso, since that was the only coffee that I ever thought existed. So I thank Olga for not only these cookies but for her big heart!
- 1 box
- moist deluxe yellow cake mix
- 4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 c
- 6 tsp
- baking powder
- eggs beaten
- 1 c
- 1 c
- vegetable oil
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract (base flavoring)
- 1-2 tsp
- vanilla, almond, lemon or anise extracts, or mix extract flavors
- powdered sugar for rolling and dusting
How to Make Italian Sponge Cake Cookies
- 1Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Remove from bowl and wrap in saran wrap and chill dough overnight. Dough will become sticky as it warms.
- 2Next day, place dough into a bowl and have a cake pan with powdered sugar inside and roll dough into balls or elongated finger type into powdered sugar. Completely coat dough in powdered sugar and place on parchment lined cookie sheet, each cookie should be 2 inches apart. Bake at 350'F anywhere between 6-10 minutes until bottom of cookies are golden. Cookies will have a crackle effect on top. Remove and cool cookies still on parchment paper onto wired cookie racks. When cooled, dust with powdered sugar. Store cookies in an airtight container so cookies don't lose their moistness.