Italian Christmas Doves (Colombos)
This is a very simple cookie and is very good.
*** Sometimes wine is added as part of the liquid, or rum.
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 c
- 2 large
- egg yolks
- 2 c
- sifted flour
- 3 Tbsp
- cream (may need more or less, follow instructions)
- rains, currents, chocolate chips, powdered sugar, white frosting
OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR DECORATING
How to Make Italian Christmas Doves (Colombos)
- 1preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Cream together well the butter, sugar and egg yolks. Add the flour and cream alternating to form a stiff dough (you may need more or less cream than stated in recipe to get desired stiffness of dough).
- 3Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to about 1/4 inch thick. Use a dove shaped cookie cutter to make the cut out cookies. Place and press in a raisin or current to form an eye for the dove.
- 4Place the cookies on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 7 - 10 minutes or until cookies are a light golden brown color.
- 5*** Serve cookies just as baked, or lightly sprinkle with powdered sugar while warm or frost to decorate.