Island Cookie Bars
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This was a HUGE crowd-pleaser. Jam-packed with peanut-y flavor, they were a unanimous hit with everyone on the Crew. We had success making these with regular pastry flour in place of the whole wheat pastry which can be a little harder to find. The Test Kitchen
1 3/4 cwhole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 tspbaking soda
1/2 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 cnatural peanut butter
1/4 ccrushed pineapple, juices drained
1 1/4 cwhite chocolate
1/2 csweetened flaked coconut
How to Make Island Cookie Bars
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together sugars, peanut butter, pineapple, buttery spread and vanilla. Beat in the egg. Gradually stir in the flour mixture until completely combined. Fold in 1 C of the white chocolate chips, saving remaining 1/4 C.
- With dampened hands, press the dough into a greased 9 x 13" baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining white chocolate chips and press them down lightly.
- Bake bars in a 350 degree oven for 22-25 minutes, until a wooden skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Put baking rack on the middle level. Turn oven to broil. Sprinkle coconut on top of the bars. Broil for 30-60 seconds, until coconut begins to brown. Be careful not to burn coconut!
- Allow pan to cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into 32 bars.