Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix (by Amy)
We enjoy having the convenience of a mix, and not having to sacrifice taste on something as important as Chocolate Chip Cookies!
TO MAKE THE MIX:
2 cdark brown sugar
1 1/2 cgranulated sugar
24 ozpure chocolate chips, dark or milk
2 cnuts, coarsely chopped (pecans or walnuts) ( optional)
1 1/2 tspbaking soda
1 1/2 tspsalt
6 call purpose flour
TO MAKE THE COOKIES:
1 lbbutter, room temperature
How to Make Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix (by Amy)
- TO MAKE THE MIX:
Line up enough jars or bags for amount of mix you are making. The above ingredients are enough for 2 mixes, as this recipe is doubled to facilitate largest sized cookies. You will need 2 small sized and 1 large sized Zip-Lock bags for each mix you are making. You will also need a piece of construction paper or card stock that you can fold over and staple the bags together with the instructions on how to make the mix.
- Distribute the ingredients for the Bag #1s into each bag, and seal. Distribute the ingredients for the Bag #2s, and seal. Repeat the process for Bag #3s, and shift around to thoroughly combine ingredients.
- Now, place the bags in order with Bag #1 on top. Place the instructions on top. Fold the card stock or construction paper in half twice, making a folded over binding for the bags. Place the top of the bags and instructions into the fold of the card stock and staple on the top (left and right sides) ensuring that you do not puncture the bags under the seal.
- TO MAKE THE COOKIES:
Preheat oven to 350F.
Combine butter with Bag #1; beating until creamy.
Add vanilla, eggs and Bag #2. Stir just until combined.
- Add contents of Bag #3, about 1/2 at a time. Start beating slowly so as not to have all of the contents whirling onto the floor! Scrape sides of bowl as you go, with a rubber spatula if necessary. Do not beat any more than absolutely necessary. Too much beating makes cookies tough!
- Roll dough into balls about 1 1/2-2 inches in diameter. Place at least 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Gently and evenly press each cookie down to about 1/4 of an inch with the palm of your hand.
- Bake cookies for 10-13 minutes, depending on size of the cookies. Cookies should not be brown, but need to be set and uniform in color; being especially firm around the edges. Leave on cookie sheet to cool for about 3-4 minutes, before removing to cooling racks to cool completely. Store in an air-tight container. Best eaten fresh.