Great Great Grandma's Pioneer Trail - SALT COOKIES
This recipe has had updates like: wax paper and refrigerate... but my grandmother told me that they use to form the dough into balls and press them flat with a glass.
This cookie is so good... but if you are watching your salt... it is not a cookie for you unless you lower the salt.
I don't use shortening in the cookie... I use margarine.
I make this cookie every year for Christmas to honor my pioneer family and to teach my children and grandchildren about our ancestors... and the importance of foods in our history.
How to Make Great Great Grandma's Pioneer Trail - SALT COOKIES
- 1Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside
- 2Cream together the shortening, eggs and vanilla.
- 3Slowly add the flour mixture to the shortening mixture, in small amounts at a time. Add nuts.
- 4Form the dough into an oval shaped log. Wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate over night.
- 5Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 6Remove dough log from refrigerator and remove wax paper.
Slice very thin. Place slices on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 10 -15 minutes.