Great Great Grandma's Pioneer Trail - SALT COOKIES
This recipe has had updates like: wax paper and refrigerate... but my grandmother told me that they use to form the dough into balls and press them flat with a glass.
This cookie is so good... but if you are watching your salt... it is not a cookie for you unless you lower the salt.
I don't use shortening in the cookie... I use margarine.
I make this cookie every year for Christmas to honor my pioneer family and to teach my children and grandchildren about our ancestors... and the importance of foods in our history.
How to Make Great Great Grandma's Pioneer Trail - SALT COOKIES
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside
- Cream together the shortening, sugar, then add eggs and vanilla.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the shortening mixture, in small amounts at a time. Add nuts.
- Form the dough into an oval shaped log. Wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate over night.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove dough log from refrigerator and remove wax paper.
Slice very thin. Place slices on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 10 -15 minutes.