★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 c
- powdered sugar or icing sugar
- 1 c
- all purpose flour
- 3/4 c
- butter, softened
How to Make Grandma's Shortbread Cookies
- 1Sift together corn starch, sugar and flour. With wooden spoon,
blend in butter until a soft, smooth dough forms.
- 2Shape into 1-inch (2.5 cm) balls. If dough is too soft to handle,
cover and chill for 30 to 60 minutes. Place 1 1/2 inches (4 cm)
apart on ungreased baking sheets; flatten with lightly floured fork.
Alternatively, roll dough to 1/4 inch (6 mm); cut into shapes
with cookie cutters.
- 3Decorate with candied cherries, coloured sprinkles or nuts, if desired.
Bake at 300°F (150ºC) for 15 to 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.
- 4To make crescents, add 1/2 cup (125 mL) ground almonds or hazelnuts to flour mixture. Shape into logs about 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick and 3 inches (7 cm) long. Curve into crescent shapes. When baked and cool, dip ends in melted chocolate.