Grandma's Mandle Brodt (Biscotti)
Phyllis R Pack
8/07/15...I just learned from a second cousin of mine who's grandmother gave her the original recipe that before sprinkeling the loaves with cinnamon and sugar, to brush the loaves with beaten egg white, for 30+ years I couldn't understand why my sugar didn't stick on. Now I know, thank you Michelle for setting me straight and thanks to tante Minnie for passing her recipes on to her sister Lena
(my grandmother), who passed them on to her daughter my Aunt Martha, who gave it to me.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 c
- crisco shortening
- 1 c
- 4 c
- flour to thicken (appx)
- 1 1/2 tsp
- orange extract
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 c
- strawberry preserves thickened with some plain bread crumbs
How to Make Grandma's Mandle Brodt (Biscotti)
- 1Cream together Crisco and sugar.
- 2Add eggs one at a time and extract.
- 3Add flour 1 cup at a time (including the baking powder). After the third cup, dough should be pliable..add 4th cup to make a manageable dough but not stiff.
- 4Cut dough into 4 equal parts. On a greased baking sheet pull the dough into log shaped loaves. Make a trough in the center of each loaf, stopping about 1 inch from each end. Fill the center with jam.
- 5Bring the sides of the loaf up to meet at the middle and crimp closed.
- 6Sprinkle loaves with cinnamon and sugar.
- 7Bake at 350 for 20-35 minutes. Removes from oven, slice and return to oven for 5-10 minutes until slices dry out a bit. Store in an air tight container.