Grandma's Easy Kolackys
Fill the pastry with whatever filling you like. I oftentimes use the Bakers filling which come in a variety of flavors.
These cookies are perfect for the holidays because the dough can be made ahead of time and defrosted in the refrigerator. Also you can have your kids help with pinching the Kolackys closed.
How to Make Grandma's Easy Kolackys
- Combine the softened butter and softened cream cheese until they are mixed together.
- Add the flour to the butter and cream cheese mixture until all the flour is combined (do not over mix).
- Form the dough into a ball and chill the dough overnight or freeze in the freezer and defrost before use.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Divide the dough and in half. Leave one half in the fridge to stay cold. Roll the dough on a well floured surface to an 1/8 inch.
- Using a square 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter or with a pizza cutter make squares. Note: They do not need to be perfect squares)
- Once the squares are made add a teaspoon of your filling to each of the squares (do not overfill or the kolackys may burst open while baking.
- To form the kolackys take two opposite corners and pinch them together (you should have a triangle shape).Fold the pinched corner down and pinch again to make sure it is sealed.
- Place on a cookie sheet and baking the Kolackys for 7-9 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- Remove the Kolackys from the oven and allow to cool before dusting with confectioner sugar.