Grandma's Angel Cookies
1/2 clight brown sugar, tightly packed
3/4 cwhite granulated sugar divided (1/4 cup set aside for later use)
1/2 ccrisco shortening (regular or butter flavored) or real butter
1 tspvanilla extract
1 tspbaking soda
1 tspcream of tartar
1/4 tspsalt (optional)
How to Make Grandma's Angel Cookies
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Put 1/4 cup of white or colored sugar* onto a small plate or in a small bowl and set aside.
*NOTE: Instead of using purchased colored sugar, a few drops of food coloring can be added to the sugar and mixed with a fork. While you're making the cookie dough, the sugar will dry out a bit. Just stir it with the fork and it should be ok for later use.
- CREAM brown sugar, white sugar and shortening (or butter) together until smooth
- ADD egg and vanilla, beating well
- SIFT together and add flour, baking soda and cream of tartar and add to the sugar mixture.
- MIX until well blended.
NOTE: If dough is too dry, add milk - one tablespoon at a time until it softens just a bit.
- ROLL into one-inch balls
~ My Grandkids loved to start helping at this point ~ If you have little ones, they might too!
- PRESS gently into reserved portion of the sugar
- PLACE onto ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart and BAKE 8 - 10 minutes
- COOL for about one minute on cookie sheet then transfer to cooling rack or wax paper.
~ You don't have to wait until they are completely cooled before eating them ~ ENJOY!