Grandma Ade's Soft Sugar cookies
2 cwhite sugar
1 csour milk (use whole milk with a tbls. of vinegar added)
4 largeeggs beaten
2 tspbaking powder
1 tspbaking soda
2 tspcaraway seeds (optional)
How to Make Grandma Ade's Soft Sugar cookies
- In a large bowl cream together sugar and shortening. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Then add sour milk.
- Sift together in a large mixing bowl all dry ingredients.
- Add vanilla to the creamed mixture and gradually add the flour mixture to this.
- At this point you can now use this dough to make drop cookies if you wish. I sprinkle them with colored sugar or cinnamon and sugar before I bake them. If you want shaped cookies refrigerate the dough covered for 2 hours. Then roll out on a floured surface to 1/3 inch thick. Do this in small batches as adding too much flour in this step will make the cookies tough and bland.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes on a greased and floured cookie sheet. Cool and frost.