Glazed Caramel Apple Pecan Pinwheel Cookies
Blue Ribbon Recipe
These are kind of like a cookie version of apple pie. Starting with a store-bought dough, that you jazz up with cinnamon, makes them a snap to create. The apple pecan filling is delicious. I could have eaten it with a spoon. Serve warm, with a small scoop of ice cream and some caramel drizzled on top ... oh my. Delicious! The Test Kitchen
- 1 pkg
- roll (16.5-oz), refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1/4 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp
- unsalted butter or margarine
- 1/4 c
- packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp
- apple pie spice
- 1 1/3 c
- apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped,(gala or granny smith)
- 1/3 c
- pecans, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 c
- powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp
- caramel ice cream topping
- 1 Tbsp
- whole milk
**PLUS ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR FOR DUSTING
How to Make Glazed Caramel Apple Pecan Pinwheel Cookies
- 1In a large bowl, break cookie dough into pieces. Sprinkle cinnamon over cookie dough and using hands, work cinnamon into cookie dough for 1 minute or until blended. Reshape cinnamon flavored cookie dough into a cylinder form; cover in plastic wrap and chill in freezer for 15 minutes to chill quickly.
- 2Meanwhile, prepare filling. Melt butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Stir brown sugar, apple pie spice, chopped apples and chopped pecans into melted butter, cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, or until mixture is blended and apples are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove apple pecan filling mixture from heat and let cool 12 to 15 minutes.
- 4Spoon and spread cooled apple pecan filling over dough rectangle, to within 1/2 inch of edges. Using paper to guide, beginning with a long side, carefully roll up the cookie dough and filling, using the wax paper to lift and guide the roll. Wrap in wax paper or plastic wrap. Chill for 1 to 2 hours in refrigerator.
- 5Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut and spread two sheets of parchment paper over 2 large baking sheet or cookie sheet pans; set aside. Spread an additional 15-inch sheet of wax paper onto a large work surface and dust lightly with flour. Cut chilled cookie filled roll into 1/4-inch slices to form 18 pinwheel sliced cookies. Place slices onto prepared baking sheet pans at least 2-inches apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned and edges are firm. Cool on baking sheet pans over cooling racks for 15 minutes.