GINGERBREAD MAN COOKIES
I made them for a cookie exchange and everyone loved them!
I like this recipe because it uses brown sugar instead of white sugar and using the baking powder makes them puffier.
I got this recipe from food.com
3 call purpose flour
1 1/2 tspbaking powder
3/4 tspbaking soda
2 1/2 tspground ginger (the origional recipe calls for 1 tablespoon)
1 3/4 tspground cinnamon
1/4 tspground cloves
3/4 cdark brown sugar (i used light brown sugar at the time, didn't have the dark on hand)
How to Make GINGERBREAD MAN COOKIES
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, aalt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
- In a large bowl beat butter, brown sugar and egg until well blended
- Add molasses,and vanilla. mix well
gradually stir in dry ingredients until blended and smooth.
the dough will be kind of like pie dough. pebbly like.
squish it together.
- Divide dough in half and wrap each half in plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours.(dough can be stored in fridge for up to 4 days but return to room temp befor using. LETTING THE DOUGH STAND AT ROOM TEMP MAKES IT EASIER TO ROLL OUT AND WON'T BE STICKY
- preheat oven to 375
grease OR line cookie sheet with parchment paper
place 1 portion of the dough on a lightly floured surface. I kneed the dough like bread a few times. this makes the dough smoother when you roll it out.
roll dough to 1/4 inch
cut out cookies with desired cutter.
space cookies 1 1/2 inches apart
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes (the lower time will give a softer cookie)
remove from oven and allow to stand until cookies are firm enought to move to wire rack
decorate with icing
- ICING - 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temp
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tblsp milk or light cream