Giant Lemon Sugar Cookies - real lemon
I was searching JAP this am for a basic lemon cookie without candy, nuts, filling, crusts or glaze. I am not a fan of cake mix cookies, or doctored store bought dough. I searched for many pages before giving up. Then I went to my recipes and posted #1 (real lemon cookies) from a newspaper clipping. The next was from MyBakingAddiction.
This one is from Pinch My Salt. And I am making this bad boy RIGHT NOW!
- 2 c
- sugar, divided
- zest of two lemons, divided
- 1 c
- butter, softened
- eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon juice, fresh
- 2 3/4 c
- 1/4 tsp
- 2 tsp
- cream of tartar
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
How to Make Giant Lemon Sugar Cookies - real lemon
- 1Prepare lemon sugar: In a mini food processor (I used my regular Cuisinart), blend 1/2 cup of sugar with 1 teaspoon lemon zest. Pulse several times until the lemon zest is incorporated into the sugar. Put sugar mixture in a shallow bowl and stir lightly with a fork to break up any clumps. Set aside.
- 2Prepare cookie dough: In a medium bowl, stir together flour, salt, cream of tartar, and bakign soda. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and remaining 1 1/2 cups of sugar. Blend in eggs, one at a time; add vanilla, lemon juice, and remaining lemon zest. Add the flour mixture, one cup at a time, blending well after each addition until all flour is incorporated.
- 3Refrigerate dough for one hour.
- 4Preheat oven to 350. Shape cookies using a jumbo cookie scoop or your hands; shape two tablespoons of dough into a ball and roll in lemon sugar. Place ball of dough on prepared cookie sheet and press down lightly with the bottom of a glass until cookie is about 1/2 inch thick. Repeat. Six cookies will fit on one 18 x 13 baking sheet.
Bake for 10-12 minutes.