German Chocolate Bars
- 1 box shortbread cookies,such as lorna doone shortbread cookies, 10 oz
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter,melted
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 pkg. individual wrapped caramels, unwrapped, 14 oz
- 3 tbsp. half and half
- 1 1/4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/4 cups chopped toasted pecans
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 (16 oz) pkg. chocolate flavored candy coating, melted
How to Make German Chocolate Bars
- 1Preheat oven to 350. Line bottom and sides of a 9 inch baking pan with foil, allowing edges to overhand 2 to 3 inches. Press overhang against outside of pan.
- 2In work bowl of processor, put cookies and sugar; pulse til crumbly. In medium bowl, put crumbs; add melted butter and egg white, stirring to mix. Press into bottom of prepared pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or til lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- 3Meanwhile, in large microwave safe bowl, mix unwrapped caramels and half and half. Microwave on high in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval, til caramels melt and mixture is smooth, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove form microwave, and let cool slightly. Stir in coconut, pecans and salt.Press mixture evenly over prepared crust. Let cool for at least 2 hours.
Melt candy coting as pkg. directs. Drizzle over caramel pecan mixture.Allow candy coating to set for at least 1 hour. Lift from pan, using foil as handles.Remove foil and cut into 3 inch bars. Store at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Makes about 1 1/2 dozen