Galettes Blanches De Grand-Mère
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
Galettes were probably brought to Quebec with the first settlers from France.
From Traditional Quebec Cooking by Micheline-Mongrain-Dontigny. No yield was given, so I'm guessing.
- 2/3 c
- 1 c
- brown sugar
- 1 c
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 3 c
How to Make Galettes Blanches De Grand-Mère
- 1Cream shortening and sugar. Add egg.
- 2Add dry ingredients alternating with milk. Dough will be soft and difficult to manipulate.
- 3Generously flour working surface and roll out a third of the dough at a time to a thickness of 1/2 inch.
- 4Generously dust top of dough before rolling out.
- 5Cut 3 inch circles of dough, lift carefully with spatula, shake off excess flour by rapidly shifting galette between hands and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet leaving a 2 inch space between galettes.
- 6Bake in middle of oven for 15 minutes at 350F.
- 7Remove galettes from baking sheet with spatula and cool on wire rack.
- 8Store in airtight container to prevent drying out and loosing their soft texture.