French Sables with Maraschino Filling
- 1 1/2 stick
- unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2/3 c
- egg yolks
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- extra egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 c
- powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp
- maraschino cherry juice
How to Make French Sables with Maraschino Filling
- 1Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- 2Mix the softened butter and sugar together until creamy. Add the 2 egg yolks and mix until well blended. Add the flour in two batches blending well to form the dough. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- 3Using 1/3 of the dough at a time (and keeping the rest refrigerated) roll out the dough to 1/8 of an inch and cut with desired cookie cutters (I use 2 square cutters in a large and small size to make a bottom cookie and then a top with a window so you can see the maraschino filling).
- 4Mix together extra egg yolks and water.
- 5Transfer cookies to parchment lined cookie sheets and brush each one with the egg yolk and water wash.
- 6Bake at 350 for approx. 6 to 8 minutes until lightly golden.
- 7Remove to a rack to cool while making the maraschino filling.
- 8Sift icing sugar into a bowl. Add the maraschino cherry juice and stir to make a glaze.
Use the glaze to sandwich two of the sable cookies together (if you cut out a smaller hole in the same shape of the cookie that goes on top before baking it will have a lovely pink window in the center).
- 9Let glaze set and serve the cookies with tea, ice tea, coffee, or lemonade.
- 10Store for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container in a cool area.