French Sables with Maraschino Filling
1 1/2 stickunsalted butter at room temperature
2 call purpose flour
2extra egg yolks
1 cpowdered sugar
2 Tbspmaraschino cherry juice
How to Make French Sables with Maraschino Filling
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Mix the softened butter and sugar together until creamy. Add the 2 egg yolks and mix until well blended. Add the flour in two batches blending well to form the dough. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Using 1/3 of the dough at a time (and keeping the rest refrigerated) roll out the dough to 1/8 of an inch and cut with desired cookie cutters (I use 2 square cutters in a large and small size to make a bottom cookie and then a top with a window so you can see the maraschino filling).
- Mix together extra egg yolks and water.
- Transfer cookies to parchment lined cookie sheets and brush each one with the egg yolk and water wash.
- Bake at 350 for approx. 6 to 8 minutes until lightly golden.
- Remove to a rack to cool while making the maraschino filling.
- Sift icing sugar into a bowl. Add the maraschino cherry juice and stir to make a glaze.
Use the glaze to sandwich two of the sable cookies together (if you cut out a smaller hole in the same shape of the cookie that goes on top before baking it will have a lovely pink window in the center).
- Let glaze set and serve the cookies with tea, ice tea, coffee, or lemonade.
- Store for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container in a cool area.