I have searched for this recipe for years, only to find it in a a very old recipe book of my mothers, which was stored away with assorted other items, after her death.
I am thrilled to have located it and hope you will enjoy these as much as I did.
These do take a bit of time to make, but it's worth every bite.
How to Make Farina Squares
- In a double boiler, add milk and sugar. When it comes to a boil, stir in the farina or (polenta) and cook 20 minutes until thick. Keep an eye on this step to guard against the mixture scorching...so stir frequently.
- Beat together: egg yolks, grated lemon,lemon juice, almond extract and whiskey.
Add this to the first mixture and cook another 10 minutes. Stirring frequently. I would recommend you temper the egg mixture before adding it all into the hot farina ,mixture. You could end up with scrambled eggs if you don't. so add a small amount of the hot milk into the egg mixture before adding the rest in.
- Pour this mixture into a buttered pyrex baking pan.
a 9X12 should work. Let this rest for 10 minutes, to set up. When they are firm enough to work with...
- Cut into squares and dip each in beaten eggs and then in finely chopped white bread crumbs. fry a few at a time.
- sprinkle the fried farina squares with powdered sugar and enjoy.